Sunday, November 4, 2012

An Analytics Session for Launch Sitecore

Now that we’ve talked about our team’s Engagement Plan, Goals and Personas for Launch Sitecore, let’s take a quick look at the data Sitecore Analytics can provide us for a visitor to our site.  I will be having much more detailed posts around our upcoming Engagement Intelligence release, but for now we’ll take a look at things that are readily available in Sitecore 6.5.
The data we will see in this report will be based on our ideal visitor to Launch Sitecore:
  1. A prospect that has been engaged by our Sales Engineering team (had a tech deep dive with the product, wanted to learn more by downloading and installing Sitecore)
  2. The prospect registers at Launch Sitecore
  3. The prospect downloads the Launch Sitecore package (and reads some additional articles along the way)
  4. The prospect spends time with the evaluation (and hopefully has some more conversations and communication with the Sales Engineering team)
  5. After a successful evaluation, the prospect comes back to Launch Sitecore to give the team some feedback.

Incidentally, this prospect will go through all phases of our Engagement Plan:

 

image_thumb27


In the Engagement Analytics Reports, we can find the Recent Activit—>Latest Visits reports:


image


I’m at home behind my Comcast Cable ISP service, so that’s how my DNS record resolved.  These reports do have the ability to more clearly classify session records if the DNS only resolves to the ISP.
Clicking on Comcast Cable gives us insight into all recent activity from this “company”…which will be really meaningful in your case when your visitors sit behind a company DNS record:

image
We can now see Total Engagement Value generated from this company (over a selectable time frame).  We can see the total number of unique visitors from this company, the last time they visited and a Google Map to show the geographies they came from.
In the Top 20 Visitors column, we can see individual visitors and any Tags we were able to apply to this session.  In the case of Launch Sitecore, we are able to easily use the Web Forms for Marketers feature to Tag any field of an input form, so when I went to Register just now, I included mikecaseynow as my Name.  The Name field was Tagged and now shows up to identify the Visitor in this report.

 

image


Further down the report we get a nice summary of conversions for this company.  Notice all the Goals we discussed in this series.
Clicking “mikecaseynow” in the above report will now drill down to the specific visitor (Me) and describe the activity from that single visitor (across multiple visits)

 

image
I can see that I’m always showing up from NH, that I’ve accomplished the range of Goals at Launch Sitecore.  At the bottom of this drill-down, now I see the specific visits I’ve made to Launch Sitecore recently.  Clicking on my 9th visit from 11/4/2012, we get the most granular report in the drill-down chain:  the specifics of a single visit:

 

image


At the top of this report we get an interesting summary of the activity in this single visit.  We made a decision at Launch Sitecore to only calculate Visit Value for downloads of Launch Sitecore the first time it happens, and since I’ve tested this site a lot, I had already downloaded the package.
We get a nice list of this visit’s conversions, and a great readout of the probable Persona the visitor was trending to in this visit.  Since I read some infrastructure-focused articles on this visit, I was scoring heavily in the Technology Profile Key (and because of this, I would be looking like Ivan the IT Pro in the Launch Sitecore Personas).
Further down, we get a detailed Session Report:

 

image


Here we see specific time spent on pages and the associated Goal accomplishments, Campaign triggers and Tags.  Since I clicked on one of my Blog articles to start this visit and the Blog link included the Campaign ID, my Campaign was triggered on my entry to the home page of Launch Sitecore.
This report is truncated at the 5th page, but it details all pages visited with any associated detail.  Since in this session I also accomplished the Feedback Goal, I can actually see the Feedback directly in the report:

 

image


….and our Engagement Plan is able to email out the Feedback to our Sales Engineering Team (or, in our future, enter this directly to the CRM).

 

image
Previous Post:  The Engagement Plan for Launch Sitecore